Sunday, June 10, 2012

Week 39

This letter comes to you from Typhoid Marvin and his Nurse, hoping you are all well and happy!

We can tell you that this week seemed doomed from the start. Bono had been sick all weekend, and Monday afternoon Elder Greenway told me quietly that he thought he was catching cold. Now, we were out looking for 3 YSAs who had disappeared, and sadly we did find out that one had moved far away and two were married. Feeling somewhat discouraged we decided to go and visit Bro. Busro who is active, but the only member in his family. That visit was delightful, but even Brother Busros had been sick.

We were home by 6 p.m. and by 8 p.m. Elder Greenway was shivering and shaking and felt horrid. That was the start of the Yuck Odyssey. From Monday night at 6 p.m. until Friday morning at 11:30 a.m. we did not leave the apartment. (I did run to the grocery store in the building connected to our building for twenty minutes). Let's just say that fumigating might have been the best option. I will let you imagine what he did all those days. I got as much done as I could figure out to do. I baked, I did English, I planned piano and then canceled piano because I did not dare leave him in his condition. I planned, and figured and cleaned up, and cleaned up, and cleaned up.

Now you might think that we could end it right here! But alas, the sun always rises, and Friday was a new day. We did go to Katpatihan for DDM, where we gave some of the YSA names to the missionaries. Many years ago, when it dawned on me that I had 6 children that were potential missionaries, I talked to their father, and together we determined that we had better take care of the missionaries serving near us if we wanted others in the world to take care of our missionary children. That decision has brought our family much joy and many blessings. WE LOVE THE FULL TIME MISSIONARIES! So going to meet with them is inspiring, edifying and joyful.

After DDM we met Widap and ran to the bowling alley... Yep! The bowling alley, where we will have a YSA activity next Saturday. It is a very nice bowling alley, and Widap was a great translator. Together we got it all arranged. By then Elder Greenway was exhausted and we ran home so he could sleep, then ran back to Kapatihan and taught Gospel English.

My goodness they are doing so well!!!!!!!! They have learned our alphabet, vowel sounds, words common to the Church, Church callings names, words used in prayer, the first Article of Faith, and the Fourth Article of Faith. They are learning "Keep the Commandments" and "The Fourth Article of Faith" songs. Bishop Awi gave the closing prayer in English this week! We play games, sing, learn about the Gospel, and just enjoy their company. Next week we are giving them Books of Mormon in English! We are so excited!!!! We are going to learn the names of some of the Prophets of the Book of Mormon. For instance, they call Abinidi - Ah-bee-nah-dee with the emphasis on the nah, because that is the way it sounds out in Indonesian. It should be very interesting.

Also Friday evening we found out that Bro. Setiyo's mother-in -law died and there would be a funeral Saturday morning at 10 a.m. Brother Setiyo's wife and her family belong to the Javanese Christian Church. So they were the ones conducting the funeral.

I took some terrible pictures with my phone to try and give you the idea of how the funeral is set up in the narrow alley in front of these humble homes. The body is inside the home, and this all must be done within 24 hours after death. There is a microphone and speaker, and you sing and someone speaks, and the family speaks and the neighborhood "mayor" (for want of a better name - they call him the R.T (r tay)) also speaks. Bro. Setiyo drives a taxi for a living. He sort of looks like Yul Bryner. I miss the "sacredness" of funerals in the chapel at home. People talk to each other during the service, and the neighborhood life goes on with motorcycles zooming around. The lessons and joy that can be taught at that time are priceless. It is all very casual here... but that is their way, and we just want to be supportive. There was a good group there from the Church for Bro. Setiyo, and that was good.

Finally, today two super things happened at the Banjasari Ward, Kapatihan building.... First!! Ricko played the piano for Sacrament!!! I took his picture after the meeting. He did very well, and he did it without me even suggesting it. I was soooooooooooo proud. Second, they had another baptism! Dina is her name, and she is a divorced mother, older and wiser, and she came looking for the Church because of other members she had met. Wonderful lady! Between Ricko's playing and Dina's baptism, we ran to the Sopomo Building for Stake Council Meeting. They are really trying to get things organized. We rode over with Pres. Ipung, Stake 2nd Counselor and Bro. Coki (choki) Stake Executive Sec., attended the meeting then rode back to the baptism with Bono and the Solo 1 Elders.

Elder Xiong performed the baptism. It was his first!!!!!! When I see them standing there with their hand raised, I just burst with joy and conviction. I know that the Priesthood has been restored. I know that these fine young men and women are representatives of the Savior, Jesus Christ. I feel the Spirit, I know that the Gospel in action in Indonesia is the same Gospel as taught by the Savior 2000 years ago. All that is standing there in Elder Xiong! How powerful is that knowledge. I love my Father in Heaven, and I am so grateful to be a missionary in this wonderful vineyard. I know that Indonesia will burst forth with the Gospel light. I know that these faithful people will be blessed for their righteousness. We love them and find great joy just being in their presence. How blessed we are to be members of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

With conviction,
Bro. and Sis. Greenway

No comments:

Post a Comment